Friday, May 2, 2014

University of Utah Chooses Lesbian Student to Speak at Graduation





by Brig Bagley

2 May 2014

Although it shouldn't be a big deal, I believe it was. Usually graduation ceremonies have the student with the highest GPA speak for the gradating class, talented speaker or not. Sometimes, it's even the most popular student. The speeches can be uninspired, immature, or just boring. But the University of Utah asked undergraduates to submit essays for review and selection in order to determine the student speaker for the 2014 Graduation Ceremony. They certainly made the right choice this year.

I, myself, attended the ceremony as a Master's Graduate in Computer Science. I wouldn't have attended any of the ceremonies had my parents not been interested in coming to celebrate with me. I'm glad I did attend.

Janine Henry, although she did have a high GPA, was not the valedictorian. She was selected from the panel unanimously from her submitted essay to address the students, faculty, friends, and family at the general commencement. I was expecting the typical Mormon girl, married with 2-3 kids. I was sure an LDS reference or plug would be in her speech somewhere. But she shocked me, as I'm sure many others, at the mention of her fiancee, a girl, who has been diagnosed with bone cancer. 

Her speech discussed how she struggled to balance time with her potentially terminally-ill girlfriend and her education. She worried she was not going to make it, but standing in front of her peers and her fiancee in the crowd, she could confidently state that the struggle was worth it. 

Why was this a big deal to me? First, I thought a Mormon saturated school would choose your typical Mormon student to represent the class. But not only did they choose someone not Mormon, they chose a lesbian. BUT, I don't believe being a lesbian had anything to do with it. And that is the second reason I thought it was a big deal. Janine qualified to speak because of her talent in writing (and speaking as it turns out), her inspiring story, and her academic accomplishment. 

BYU graduation DID, however, select Megan Hirschi, a common LDS returned missionary to speak. Although I'm sure she is a talented, accomplished girl, her typical Mormon story will never be as inspiring as those from people like Janine Henry.

Janine is a strategic communications major. She will resume her education in the University of Tampa in Florida to pursue a Master's in Marketing. 

Read more here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment