Thursday, May 1, 2014

Religious Freedom Argument Turned on its Head

JR Joaquin joins marchers in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Wednesday, June 26, 2013, in celebration after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act.

by Brig Bagley

1 May 2014

The United Church of Christ in North Carolina is suing the state for banning same-sex marriages. Why? This religious group wishes to sanction and provide unions for same-sex couples. Because of the state ban, if clergy does perform the union, they are liable for arrest.

This takes the entire Religious Freedom argument and turns it upside down. Protesters to same-sex marriage wish to use religious freedom to staunch its legalization due to the belief of it being sinful. Punishing people for refusing to provide services to those they believe to live sinful lives supposedly violates their religious freedom. But according to this church in North Carolina, same-sex marriage bans violate their  religious freedom.

This story brings to light that religion can't be used to trump every situation. Freedom of religion only works if the freedoms do not contradict each other. If my religion believes in human sacrifice, my freedom is limited because killing is not legal. If my religion believes all other religions are wrong, including non-religion, I cannot use my religious freedom to force my beliefs on another. I simply practice my own religion, and allow others to practice theirs.

High church leaders of the nation disagree with this United Church of Christ in NC. They say that it doesn't represent the majority of religion in the country, and that it seems like a publicity stunt. They use the majority tradition of man-woman marriages across the world as their backup. But if the USA claims religious freedom for all, does that matter? What if my personal religion requires legal same-sex marriage for some reason? Why must my freedom be trumped by the majority? I shouldn't have to move to practice my religion. That was the whole reason the USA was founded.

Will the religious freedom argument stand? The federal judges have yet to call a ruling on the Oklahoma and Utah cases regarding same-sex marriage bans. We'll have to wait and see.

Read more here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/30/north-carolina-gay-marriage-lawsuit_n_5235474.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000050

No comments:

Post a Comment